January and February are two of the most depressing months of the year. Well, it is for us Brits who are stuck with cold and miserable weather, dark evenings and unpredictable snow storms. And the summer still seems so far away…
I’ve been obsessively stalking my friends and family in Australia and drooling over their sunny beach photos, their tanned limbs and their blue skies.
Ahhh, blue sky. Do you remember that?
Yes, @jayneytravels, I’m talking to you!
I’d usually go abroad at this time of year and catch some rays but with 5 weeks left to go of my pregnancy I’m sticking close to home.
I’ll admit that I spent last week moping and longing for the future to come faster. I want the baby to come sooner, I want the summer to come sooner, I want my next holiday to come sooner, I want my new house to be finished sooner.
This moping and longing isn’t healthy so I had a word with myself and decided to shake myself out of it. I’m wishing my life away here and I really just need to sit back and enjoy the moment. Moping doesn’t help anyone so it’s time to shake off the winter blues and start being more positive.
Here are my reasons to be happy…
- Snowdrops – I love these pretty, delicate flowers. And they’re a sure sign spring is on the way!
Spring is here! #100happydays A photo posted by Monica Stott (@thetravelhack) on
- January is gone for another 11 months
- The days are getting longer – even the clocks will be going forwards soon
- Cosy fires and evenings spent under blankets are awesome – you can do this guilt free in the winter but it’s a bit weird in the summer
- Flannel PJs – They’re not sexy but who doesn’t love cosy PJs?
- Bubble baths – Again, another weird thing to have in the summer
- Frosty mornings – We don’t have many of those clean, crisp, clear winter mornings, but when we do, they’re beautiful and well worth stopping to appreciate.
A photo posted by Monica Stott (@thetravelhack) on
- Wrapping up warm – I hate the cold but I really, really love layering up and heading out for a winter walk. I love being inside my little cocoon of warmness.
- Broadchurch – And TV box sets in general. What did we do before Netflix?
- Books – There is no better time of year to wrap yourself up in a blanket and curl up with a good book.
- Tiny baby socks – Can I get an ahhhhhh? There is nothing in the world that is cuter than new born baby socks. Fact.
- And, of course, the biggest and best reason for me to be happy right now is this ever-growing bump which will soon turn into a baby! A baby!
What are your reasons to be happy in February? Come on, share them so we can all have a reason to share them during this dreary month.
Tuesday 17th of February 2015
I love bundling up and walking around while snowflakes fall through the air. Being able to drink hot chocolate pretty much all the time is also a nice benefit!
Maddie @ Two for the Road
Sunday 8th of February 2015
Definitely a good reminder to appreciate what we have. Normally by the end of January I've just had enough but I'm trying to focus on the lighter nights and the fact that it's been sunny more often than not.
Friday 6th of February 2015
I'm SUPER DUPER excited to be going to Carnival in Barranquilla next week on the Caribbean coast. I'm getting to meet lots of travel bloggers this month which makes me happy, and I just discovered an alternate cut of the finale of How I Met Your Mother which was way better than the one that aired, so I'm finally at peace with my favorite show of all time. :D
Thursday 5th of February 2015
I felt all warm inside reading this! I'm definitely feeling under the weather with the winter blues, and your post definitely reminded me of things I love. I haven't read a book in a while (at least outside of uni that is)!
Jessica @ The Belle Voyage
Thursday 5th of February 2015
Comfort food and cashmere! Jessica www.thebellevoyage.com