I’m a firm believer that sleep is the most important part of my day.
There are some people who claim they can function on 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I am NOT one of those people! I need a solid 8-9 hours of sleep each night.
I’ve got three children so I’ve had more than my fair share of sleepless nights, which has made it even more apparent how important sleep is to me.
When I’ve slept well I can take on the world. But if I haven’t slept well I can barely function. Everything is difficult when I’m tired. I’m snappy with the kids, I don’t want to exercise, I struggle to concentrate with my work, I don’t want to socialise with friends, I eat unhealthy foods and I drink lots of coffee…which ultimately leads to me sleeping badly again. And then I’m stuck in a cycle and it’s hard to get out.
As you can tell, I take sleep seriously. Whether I’m travelling or I’m at home, I make sleep a priority. I have a bedtime routine, I have the perfect sheets, duvet and pillows. My bedroom is calm and tranquil and filled with plants and I avoid screen time for at least 30 minutes before I go to sleep.
I’ve got my sleep routine down to tee!
So when I was asked to review the Simba Hybrid Mattress I was excited but also a little nervous. I previously had an Emma Mattress which was similar to the Simba. I loved the comfort of the Emma Mattress but it was starting to get a little tired and I could feel the body-shaped dents moulded into the mattress after almost 5 years of sleeping in the same position.
The Emma Mattress was comfortable and still had a few years left in it. Did I really want to change things and potentially disrupt my sleep?
As I’m sure you’ve already guessed, I did replace my Emma Mattress with the Simba Hybrid Mattress.
So what do I think? Am I pleased I swapped? How does the Emma Mattress compare to the Simba Mattress? And what are my overall thoughts and review of the Simba Hybrid Mattress?
Simba Hybrid Mattress review
Simba Hybrid Mattress original – The tech behind the mattress
- 3,000 springs
- 25cm deep
- 6 layers
- 10 year guarantee
- Over ½ million happy customers
- Good for spinal alignment and pressure relief
- Simbatex® foam for cooling airflow
- SupportCore™ base so it’s supportive right to the edge
- Washable cover
- 100% recyclable
- Made in the UK in zero-waste factories
- 60 industry awards
- Designed using the body data of over 10 million sleepers and 70 prototypes
Is it comfy?
OK, so now you know all the tech, this is the part you really want to read. What do I think of the Simba Hybrid Mattress?
It’s so comfy! It’s a hard one to describe because it’s soft but firm at the same time. It moulds to your body without sinking or sagging and it is firmer than a traditional mattress.
If you’ve only ever had a traditional mattress then you’ll really feel the difference when you switch.
It’s firm but without being hard. It contours to your body and supports you but it’s almost without you even feeling it. There is definitely no sinking.
How does the Simba mattress compare to an Emma mattress?
The Simba mattress feels a little firmer than the Emma Mattress. But the honest truth is that I can’t tell much of a difference. They are very, very similar. My boyfriend didn’t notice the difference AT ALL.
My main concern with the Emma Mattress was that after just 4.5 years I could feel the dips in the bed where I slept. There were clear body-shaped grooves! For context, I’m a petite woman so it’s not like I’m a heavy weight in the bed.
I think this may be where the price difference comes in. Simba mattresses are more expensive than Emma mattress so hopefully the Simba will hold its shape for longer, especially with it already feeling firmer.
I’m 100% glad I swapped from the Emma mattress to the Simba. The Simba Mattress is so comfortable and it really does feel fresh, new, firm and bouncy.
While there was plenty of life left in the Emma Mattress, the new one really emphasised that the old one had lost it’s firmness.
Do you notice the Simbatex® foam?
The Simbatex® foam is less dense than standard foam which ensures better airflow through the mattress, making it comfier and cooler to sleep on. Simbatex® foam is also infused with graphite, a natural heat conductor, which helps heat flow away from the body.
In comparison to regular foam, you really do notice the difference. It isn’t sweaty at all. As someone who lived in a campervan for a year and slept on a foam mattress then, I can confirm this is much better!
I’ve currently only been using the mattress through the winter months so I haven’t put it to the test on a sweaty summer’s night yet but I will update this post next summer.
Easily washable cover
One of my favourite things about the Simba mattress is that the cover is easily washable.
Now I know this is a very middle-aged thing to list as a ‘favourite’ but, come on, why don’t all mattresses have this feature!? Whether it’s to wash out stains or it’s simply for hygiene, all mattress covers should be washable.
If you’re anything like me, you’ll be imagining that this cover is ridiculously difficult to get on and off but it really isn’t. It zips off easily, washes well, dries quickly and zips back on with minimal effort.
I do find I have to wiggle my mattress off the bed slightly so I can zip it up around the headboard but, provided you’ve got the strength to wiggle your mattress back and forth then you won’t struggle to do this at all.
If you’ve got any tough stains on your mattress cover then you can soak it in a stain remover and then wash it and it’ll be looking as good as new!
Simba’s mattress removal service
One thing I was really happy to read about was Simba’s mattress removal service. It’s a not-for-profit service and they’ll come and remove any mattress, no matter what brand or size it is.
The quick, final review
If you’re into tech jargon then I’d recommend reading more of the Simba website which is really detailed and easy to understand. But the quick review is that this mattress is really comfortable and feels firm yet softly supportive. It isn’t the kind of mattress you’re going to sink into but it is going to hug you without making you feel sweaty.
I love the easily removable and washable cover and when I sleep elsewhere, I now find that most mattresses are too squishy in comparison.
Other products in this relaxing, jungle plant bedroom!
Bedside coffee machine
To make my bedroom feel a little more like a hotel I’ve got a little Nespresso coffee machine next to my bed. I love having a quick cuppa in bed before I get up for the day. But I live in a 3-story house and it feels like such an effort to go all the way down to the kitchen and back again with my coffee!
I have a small Nespresso coffee machine which is great for small spaces. I also like this one because you can buy supermarket-brand coffee pods for it so they’re much cheaper. I have a different machine in my kitchen and I do like it but the pods are so expensive!
- Compact, lightweight and ergonomic handle
- Automatic Flow Stop: 2 programmable buttons (espresso and lungo)
- Thermoblock Rapid Heating System: Ready to use in 25 seconds
- This Taster Pack is perfect for people who like a strong and flavourful Espresso or if you like to drink Cafe Latte or Cappuccino. The Strong Espresso Taster Pack contains both Fairtrade and organic...
- 9 compelling Nespresso variants. No decaf !
- 100% compatible with all Original Line Nespresso machines. Not compatible with Nespresso Vertuo machines.
I like having a small Alexa next to my bed. I listen to audiobooks before I go to sleep and use it as an alarm clock in the morning. I have a ‘Morning Playlist’ with my favourite morning songs and I have it set to play this from 7am.
- OUR BEST-SOUNDING ECHO DOT YET - Enjoy an improved audio experience compared to any previous Echo Dot with Alexa for clearer vocals, deeper bass and vibrant sound in any room.
- YOUR FAVOURITE MUSIC AND CONTENT - Play music, audiobooks and podcasts from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer and more, or via Bluetooth throughout your home.
- ALEXA IS HAPPY TO HELP - Ask Alexa for the weather forecast, to set hands-free timers, get answers to your questions and even tell jokes. Need a few extra minutes in the morning? Just tap your Echo...
Sunrise alarm clock
- SUNRISE - A smooth sunrise starts 30 minutes before your alarm time and slowly brightens to wake you gently.
- SOUNDS - Add a beep or one of 5 natural sounds as an optional extra alarm. Snooze allows an extra 5 minutes.
- SUNSET - Also has a 30-minute dimming sunset that can be used to relax at bedtime. Display can be high, low or off at night.
I love how gently this sunrise alarm clock wakes me up. The light comes on gradually and plays bird noises. It’s so much nicer than a phone alarm!
- Cleverly created to diffuse our 100% natural Essential Oil Blends at the touch of a button, our much-loved Wellbeing Pod not only scents any space within minutes, but it also works to boost your...
- SCENT YOUR SPACES: Designed to scent ‘medium’ sized spaces in your home – think living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens…
- SCENT THROUGHOUT THE DAY: Full tank lasts for over 7 hours.
This NEOM diffuser is lovely and has a gentle trickling sound and dim night light so it’s perfect for falling asleep to.
- Audible Audiobook
- James Clear (Author) - James Clear (Narrator)
- English (Publication Language)
The best bedtime reading or listening! Atomic Habits genuinely changed my life.
- YOUR DREAM TUMBLER: Whichever way your day flows, the H2.0 FlowState tumbler keeps you refreshed with fewer refills. Double wall vacuum insulation means drinks stay cold, iced or hot for hours. Choose...
- ADVANCED LID CONSTRUCTION: Whether you prefer small sips or maximum thirst quenching, Stanley has developed an advanced FlowState lid, featuring a rotating cover with three positions: a straw opening...
- EARTH-FRIENDLY DURABILITY: Constructed of 90% recycled BPA free stainless steel for sustainable sipping, the Stanley Quencher H2.0 has the durability to stand up to a lifetime of use. Eliminate the...
- Tackle your day one song at a time with the JBL Tune 230NC TWS in-ear headphones, providing you with 40 hours of JBL Pure Bass Sound plus highly customisable settings via the JBL Headphones app
- Tune out unwanted background noise with Active Noise Cancelling technology while Ambient Aware keeps you aware of your surroundings and TalkThru lets you answer calls without removing your headphones
- The Stick Closed design of these earbuds ensures comfort without pressure and helps to eliminate distractions from ambient noise, with a design so light you'll hardly notice you're wearing them
- Cultivates Gratitude and Mindfulness - Journaling allows you to appreciate your life more for at least 5 minutes a day. The 5 Minute Journal for women and men is specially crafted for positive...
- Chic Daily Journal With Prompts - Start your day with appreciation and end it with deep reflection using our wellness journal. This positivity journal has enough pages for 6 months. It features...
- Easy-to-Follow Guided Journal - Don’t know where to start? No worries! Our five minute gratitude journal provides writing cues to set the flow. The motivational journal is undated, so you can begin...