Are you packing for a trip to Morocco and wondering what you should wear in Marrakech? I’ve just returned from my third trip to Marrakech and I finally feel like I figured out exactly what to pack for Morocco!
If you’d like some Morocco outfit inspiration and ideas, skip to the end of this blog where you’ll see lots of outfit photos…
It isn’t the easiest country to pack for due to the heat, the blazing sunshine, the crowds and the fact it’s a muslim country so you need to be respectful and avoid revealing clothing (which isn’t what you always want to hear when it’s 40 degrees outside!)
Not only that but, if you’re visiting in the cooler months, Marrakech is actually quite cool in the evenings so you’re going to need to factor that into your packing list too!
Another thing you need to be aware of when you’re packing for Marrakech is that many places you visit with be quite dusty and dirty. You definitely won’t want to be strolling around the streets of Marrakech in a long, white skirt that skims the ground!
Even when you get out of the cities, it can be very sandy and dusty and many of the touristy activities like camel riding, camping in the desert or quad biking across sand dunes require practical and sensible clothing.
^ Visiting Le Jardin Marjorelle at 10am on a January morning – it was chilly but warm by midday
Most tourists visiting Morocco will begin in Marrakech, a crazy, chaotic and bustling city.
You’ll want to be comfortable and casual while you’re there as you’ll likely be doing a lot of walking.
You may also wish to pack an outfit to dress up for a nice meal too. Morocco is a very affordable country for British visitors so make the most of it and treat yourself to a nice dinner!
Marrakech might be a little overwhelming at first, but behind the crowds there is a unique charm unlike anywhere else. You really do feel like you’re stepping into a scene from Disney’s Aladdin and I wouldn’t be surprised if you spotted a gene and a magic carpet floating through the medina.
And then if you head into the countryside you’ll see the dramatic High Atlas Mountains, the coastal towns and the colourful cities then you’ll have the chance to see how beautiful and diverse Morocco really is.
With all this diversity comes a range of activities and a range of temperatures so when you’re packing for morocco, layers are key!
You can still pack light for Morocco. During my recent 4 day trip I didn’t have any luggage, just the small bag you can now place under your seat on the plane. I also used compressible packing cubes to keep my bag organised and get as much in there as possible. I have a blog post about the best packing cubes here.
In this bag I took:
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 midi skirt
- 1 playsuit for a night out
- 3 x white t-shirts
- 4 x sets of underwear
- 1 x scarf
- 1 x pair of PJs
- 2 x socks
- My washbag
- My hair straighteners
- My chargers
- And then I wore another outfit with trainers, a cardigan , sunglasses and a warm coat on the plane.
Let’s start with the basics for women…
How much do women need to cover up in Morocco?
There are a lot of tourists in Marrakech so, in the warmer months, you’re going to see it all.
You will see women in short shorts and strappy tops but that doesn’t mean it’s OK. It’s disrespectful and they’ll get a lot of unwanted attention. This is both annoying but also potentially dangerous and there are a lot of pickpockets and scammers in the cities.
Personally, I like to be covered from below the knee to below my shoulders (so a top with short sleeves is fine).
What to pack for Morocco
Now on to the fun stuff, what clothes should women wear in Marrakech?
Oh midi skirts, my good friends! I can’t tell you how much I love midi skirts for travelling, they’re just so easy and tick every box.
- They’re stylish
- They keep you cool
- A midi skirt will ensure you’re appropriately covered
- Gives you loads of outfit options (dressy, casual, full fashionista or subtle comfort)
- Small and easy to pack
- Not so long it skims the dirty floor
I find a midi skirt to be the perfect length. It comes to the calf so it covers your knees (very important to avoid being disrespectful but also to avoid people staring) but it also won’t skim the floor and get dirty. The majority of local women will probably wear clothing that covers their ankles too but as a tourist you don’t need to worry too much about being covered all the way to the ankle.
No products found.
- Available in multiple plain colours, patterns and prints; ditsy floral print, animal print, abstract print, geometric print, polka dot spot print, rainbow print, shape print, plain print, leopard...
- The best kinds of skirts are the kinds that don't crease and go with everything. Pair this everyday no crease overlay swing skirt with heels and a blouse, or a chunky knit, or a graphic tee and...
- Designed in a trendy smooth soft silky lightweight stretchy pleats fabric to keep you feeling cool and comfortable, this boho designer straight asymmetric high-waisted wrap skirt is a perfect for...
You’ll need to make sure you’re wearing a top that covers your chest and shoulders. You don’t need to be covered all the way to the wrist so I usually find a simple t-shirt is easiest. At home, I’d normally wear strappy vests when it’s really hot outside but if you wear a light t-shirt you’ll be just as as cool and you’ll also avoid the harmful rays from the sun.
I’m a bit of a minimalist when it comes to my clothing and I generally wear plain white t-shirts and pair these with a more exciting skirt.
- 【Design】: Ladies round neck plain T-shirt, simple and fashionable，Classic Solid Color Design, Fashionable Without Losing The Style
- 【Features】: This shirt is light, soft, breathable and skin-friendly, It does not become sticky and itchy when you sweat,loose and comfortable fit with easy movement，perfect for those hot summer...
- 【Occasions】:Perfect for Holiday, Leisure, Simple Sports, Hiking, Small Parties, Home And Other Occasions.
- Close-but-comfortable fit with easy movement
- An Amazon brand
- Please note, the size located on the care label in this garment corresponds to US sizing. Please use the size charts on the product detail page to find the equivalent size
Dresses are going to be one of the easiest things for women to pack for Morocco. Just make sure they cover your shoulders and come to your knee.
- Fabric: 95 polyester 5 spandex,Using airflow ice silk wrinkle fabric,which is very elastic.Tips: If you are between size or have a large chest, choose one size up. About Model: Height 5’8"---Bust...
- Unique Design: Short sleeve midi dress for women, comes in the classic and fashion solid color. This tiered dress features ruffle cap sleeves, crew-neck, smocked bodice, elastic waist, bohemian style,...
- Ocassion:Simple design makes it perfect for any occasions. Wear to Casual/Beach/Party/Daily/Office/Formal/Home， Just paired with your sandals or heels,wedges,boots or your sports shoes and a layered...
- Wrap Shoulder Straps: The wrap shoulder strap design of women's wrap dresses makes you look more elegant, the belt can be used for decoration, and can also adjust the tightness to make you feel...
- Material: Casual long sleeve polka dot beach dress made from 100% polyester, hand or machine washable. Please note the size in the picture when choosing. Don't worry if the clothes arrive wrinkled,...
- Floral Print: As the weather gets cooler, the floral print of this dress will be delightful, highlighting your vibrant youthful personality and making you unforgettable. This dress is perfect for...
- ❥❥【Matching Occasions】This loose shirt dress is perfect for everyday wear, party, beach, holiday, celebration, graduation, homecoming, school, office, etc.Special leopard printed will make you...
- ❥❥【Material】Made of 1OO% Cotton, this full length maxi dress is soft,breathable and comfortable for your delicate skin,even friendly to sensitive skin,easy to dress up or dress down.
- ❥❥【Design】Long sleeve shirt dress,comfortable material, floral printed,button down closure,v neck,plus size dress,casual style,baggy design.
A light cardigan
It can get a bit chilly in the evenings so I highly recommend taking a cardigan or a small jacket to keep you warm.
- Women's classic long chunky knit cardigan with long sleeves, cardigans with 2 pockets, loose fit. This is a very casual and classic cardigan that you can't go wrong with.
- SIZE: Small=(UK 8-10 and US 4-6), Medium=(UK 12-14 and US 8-10), Large=(UK 16-18 and US 12-14), X-Large=(UK 20-22 and US 16-18), XX-Large=(UK 24-26 and US 20-22).
- This cardigan is very cute and very easy to match with other outfits. Knitted, Aran style sweater, oversized, and with 2 practical pockets, many ladies love this cardigan for these points. It is warm...
A large scarf
Due to the narrow streets in most of Morocco’s towns and cities, you’ll often find you’re in the shade a lot of the time so it can be chilly. But then you’ll come out of the shade into a square where the sun is blazing hot and suddenly you’re sweating. I find a large scarf is the easiest way to combat this constant hot/cold battle!
You may also find it comes in handy if you plan to visit a mosque that requires you to cover your head.
- Scarf material: This ladies scarf is super soft and cozy fabric, feel like cashmere scarf ,The womens scarf can dress up an outfit, as a shawl or just be worn as a winter scarf.
- Suitable size: The ladies scarves length 200cm (180cm+10cm fringes each side), width 70cm. Weight:250g. it will stays wrinkle free and the material drapes well and is versatile and works as well as a...
- Pashmina feature: The scarfs for women is large enough to keep you warm,Perfect match to go with a bridesmaid dress or evening dress,use for holiday evening wrap.
Sun glasses, sun hat and sunscreen
No matter what time of year you’re visiting you’ll need these three!
You may not need a sunhat if you’re sticking to the cities in winter but if you’re going to the desert or the mountains then you’ll definitely need a sun hat.
- Category 3 UV400 POLARISED LENSES: The UV women sunglasses block 100% of the UVA, UVB radiation and harmful blue light up to 400 nm that protect your eyes. AVAWAY women polarized sunglasses are saving...
- OPTIMAL CLARITY OF VISION: Polarised womens sunglasses block reflections, scatter and intense direct light through the multi-layer lens, reducing eye strain and glare, restoring true colors, providing...
- HIGH QUALITY ACETATE FRAME: Brilliance in dazzle design and elegant textured pattern, AVAWAY round women sunglasses celebrates women's inner sparkle.This sunglasses for women is made with acetate....
- Made of 100% natural paper straw woven making it light and durable.Panama hat size is 57cm/22 1/2inches/7 1/8,fits most ladies heads,adjustable tape is built inside sweatband,you can adjust it to fit...
- Breathable design offers extra comfort.Interior elastic sweatband for a more secure and comfortable fit.
- Casual style perfect for any outfit ,stylish pinch front with simple design will go well with any outfit. It holds its shape really well.
- RoC Soleil-Protect Anti-Brown Spot SPF50 visibly reduces brown spots, protects and improves skin's youthful appearance, with SPF 50
- An ultra-light fluid texture, that penetrates rapidly and leaves no white residue
- The active vitamin C reduces hyperpigmentation such as brown spots, sunspots or age spots and regulates the production of melanin, which is responsible for the appearance of these spots
- VERY HIGH PROTECTION: Ambre Solaire Hydra 24 Hour Protect Sun Protection Lotion SPF 50+ provides advanced UVA and UVB protection against sun induced skin damage and sunburn
- UP TO 24 HOUR HYDRATION: Our FORMULA is enriched with nourishing Shea Butter and helps protect against the drying effects of the sun
- WATER RESISTANT: This fast-absorbing lotion is non-greasy and water resistant Foundation
A small bag you can securely close and keep safe – or a coat with secure pockets
Pickpockets are rife and the streets are very crowded so I highly recommend a small bag to keep your valuables safe. Something like a small cross body bag with a zipper is perfect.
Alternatively, you can do what I do and keep your cash, credit card and mobile phone in a zipped pocket of your coat. Obviously you can only do this when it’s cold and you actually have a coat but I feel it’s the safest option. I do take a small backpack too and I’ll have my water and a jumper in there but I’m not worried about someone stealing them!
- 【Durable Material】High quality PU leather small crossbody phone bag,smooth and durable leather.Synthetic vegan leather as exterior. No chemical smells and no animals are harmed.
- 【Small & Lightweight 】This beautiful lightweight small bag measures 7.6"(19.5cm)L x 4.8"(12cm)H x 2"(5cm)W .Zipper closure with magnetic snap button flap,safe and easy use. Popular color design...
- 【Phone Crossbody Bag Structure】2 x zippered main pocket and 1 x interior zipper coin pocket, capable for storing your daily necessities,such as phone,keys, lipsticks, cash,coins,napkin paper and...
I was surprised to find Morocco is actually quite cold at night. Obviously it depends where you are and the time of year but I’ve visiting in spring, autumn and winter (never in the peak of summer) and every time I found it to be very cold in the evenings. If you’re visiting the desert or the mountains then it’s even colder! When you’re packing for Morocco, don’t forget a warm coat. I really like the feather-down jackets you can pack into a small bag.
- CASUAL QUILTED DOWN-FILLED WOMENS JACKET - cut in a flattering style and ultra warm thanks to the natural insulation of high quality ethically-sourced 800 fill power duck down with 10% feathers to add...
- EXTREMELY THIN AND LIGHTWEIGHT - with no compromise on warmth, ideal to wear as a mid-layer under a waterproof in the chilliest, wettest weather, or on its own as a lightweight, fully breathable...
- PACKS UP SMALL - this puffa style jacket comes with a chest pocket that acts as a zip up bag so it's easy to carry or even use as a handy travel pillow
What shoes to pack for Morocco?
Trainers + sandals + flip flops
Personally, I’d just take a pair of sandals and a comfy pair of trainers. I took a 4 hour hike through the High Atlas Mountains during my last trip and I was fine doing it in trainers.
Be aware that when you’re walking around in sandals your feet will get dirty so some people may prefer to wear shoes.
Flip flops would be an optional extra and might be handy if you plan to visit a hammam and would prefer to wear your own flip flops.
Maybe I’m a bit gross but I’ve never had a verruca or a wart or anything so I tend to just walk around barefoot. Sam however won’t walk anywhere bare foot so he always takes his flip flops!
- Ecological And Sustainable Materials
- Organic Cotton Lining
- Expanded Pu And Organic Cotton Insole
- Birko-Flor uppers
- Textile linings
- Suede leather insoles
- Cotton stretch denim
- Low rise waist
- Outer Material: Rubber
If you’re planning to visit a hammam then you’ll want to pack a bikini.
You may be surprised that a bikini is better than a full swimsuit but this is because you’ll be asked to remove your top and if you’re wearing a swimsuit you’ll have to roll it down and it’s just a bit awkward.
- Cross Push Up Bikini Top: Tie back wrap straps, Adjustable spaghetti straps, Built-in padding;
- Ruched Tummy Control Swimsuits Bottom: High waist, Ruching front, Modest Coverage;
- Size: (Our Size Chart) Small=UK 8-10, Medium=UK 10-12, Large=UK 12-14, X-large=UK 14-16,We corrected the size according to the customer's feedback;
Let’s be real for a minute here. You need to be careful, eat freshly cooked food and wash your hands as often as possible but there’s still a chance you’re going to get traveller’s diarrhoea. Try to avoid taking something like imm=odium (unless you’re on a bus or something!) because this is just going to keep whatever bad food/bug you have inside you. You’re best of trying to flush the bug out so drink plenty of water and rehydration sachets to keep hydrated.
- Work, Play, Party, Health - Simply mix this electrolyte replacement with 500ml of water to experience renewed energy, focus, and performance throughout the entire day - the best on the go electrolyte...
- High Strength Vitamin Supplement - Support Immune function, each stick contains 500mg vitamin C, 5x more than most high strength vit c supplements, our exceptional blend is the perfect balance of...
- Based on a World Health Organisation Formula - Formulated to W.H.O standards for oral rehydration solutions (ORS) for hydration & recovery. Our sports electrolyte powder drink can allow you to train...
What to pack if you’re visiting Morocco in the winter
I’ve just returned from a winter trip to Morocco (January) and what I was wearing was very similar to what I wear at home in the spring. During the day it was bright, sunny and fairly warm so jeans, t-shirts, a light jumper and trainers were fine. Think a spring day in the UK.
But first thing in the morning and evenings were cold! Properly cold!
So I’d recommend packing spring-style outfits and then a warm coat and a wooly hat too.
What to pack for the High Atlas Mountains?
If you’re just visiting the High Atlas Mountains on a relaxed bus tour then you’ll be fine wearing anything you’d like. I’d recommend flat, comfortable shoes for the uneven ground but you can wear whatever you’d wear in Marrakech. It’ll be colder than Marrakech so pack a light jacket.
But if you’re planning to go hiking then you’ll need to wear something practical. Now I know this doesn’t go down well with the ‘proper hikers’ but I always go hiking in comfortable trainers, sports leggings, a t-shirt and a jumper, a sun hat and a small backpack for water and snacks. Many people will recommend sturdy, heavy hiking boots but I can happily hike for 8-10 hours in my comfy Nike trainers. If you’re hiking for 2 days or more than you might want your hiking boots or hiking trainers might be a good option too.
Just remember that even in the winter months the sun is seriously strong and you’re really high up too. We did a 4 hour hike in January and it was quite chilly so we completely forgot about sunscreen and Sam got really sunburned.
- Mesh and synthetic material upper with waterproof Gore-Tex membrane
- Double density EVA midsole
- Continental rubber sole
- Fast absorbing*, sweat and water resistant face cream is specifically designed to protect your skin from unforgiving, high-altitude sun, cold and wind exposure
- Enriched with a Cold Shield Complex, provides long lasting moisturisation, protecting the skin from extreme cold and wind
- Anti-oxidant* (In vitro test) Edelweiss, helps to protect the skin from the sun and long-term skin damage / Ultra-flat, ergonomic profile of the tube fits easily in your pocket
- [Material]: 100% cotton, adjustable stainless steel strap buckle. It is recommended to use cold water / do not bleach / hang or dry.
- [Size]: Head circumference 56-60 cm (22-23.6 inches), suitable for men, women, boys and girls.
- [No deformation]: The classic 6-panel design, the front 2 panels are lined with Oxford fabric, which can better shape the cap and prevent deformation;
What to pack for the desert in Morocco?
If you’re visiting the desert then you really need to keep in mind the temperature difference between night and day. Even in the summer it is cold at night time so you’ll want warm jumpers, a coat and a hat, thick socks and jeans.
During the day time, it’s going to be hot, hot, hot so you’ll definitely want a sun hat and possibly long sleeves.
If you’re going to be doing activities like camel rides and quad bike rides then you’ll want to avoid skirts and dresses – leaving you without your failsafe item of the midi skirt! I’d opt for loose trousers, cropped trousers, long shorts or culotte style trousers. If you’re visiting in the spring, autumn or winter then you’d be fine in jeans but they might be too hot in the summer. Do not wear short shorts – not only is it disrespectful but they’re going to creep up and be uncomfortable while you’re riding a camel.
- TWO STYLE:There are two types of ladies' trousers in A/B material for you to choose. A: 80% cotton, 20% polyester B: 100% cotton.Different styles，choose the one you like according to the picture.
- MATERIAL:Lightweight cotton fabric for long-lasting wear,breathable and durable,comfy loose summer trousers for women;Soft And Easy To Wear Comfy In Summer Or Fall.The waist is chic and comfy to wear...
- UNIQUE DESIGN: Elastic Waist Trousers For Women, Two Side Big Pockets, Solid Color, Causal Pants for Women, Relaxed Fit, Loose Fit and Casual Style With High Waist.
- MADE IN UK - These comfortable 3/4 length trousers with an extra wide leg are the perfect lightweight addition to every ladies wardrobe.
- Find the perfect size for you. Available in a range of colourways and in sizes: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and 22
- HIGH ELASTICATED WAIST - The comfortable elasticated waistband provided a comfy fit
- BREATHABLE AND QUICK DRY: Breathable and lightweight woven fabric keeps you cool and dries quickly, perfect for casual wearing, daily life and outdoor activity. The cropped trousers are available in...
- RELAXED FIT: These women's capri pants feature a relaxed fit from through the hip and thigh. These capris hit at the calf for a versatile fit. Suitable for spring, summer and autumn.
- CARGO STYLE: Made for comfort with a touch of cargo-style, The capri cargo pants with multiple pockets, (2 side cargo, 2 front side seam, and 2 back flap). Drawstrings and ruching at the side hems for...
Read more (and see more pics of things I’m wearing for ideas!)
Pin this for later ->